Useful Links for the Whole Family
Below are links to child care resources and websites that we think are useful for Mini-Skool families.
Do you know of a website that you think we should link to? Please tell us about it.
An important note: While we are happy to share the information below with our community, please note that Mini-Skool, A Child’s Place does not endorse any website, product, service, or other information by linking to it from this page or elsewhere on our website. We do our best to ensure the correctness and suitability of information, and to correct any errors brought to our attention, however we cannot guarantee the correctness or suitability of any linked information.
Please contact us if you feel anything linked from this page is unsuitable or has serious errors. If you contact us with concerns about a site we link to, we will review whether that site continues to be suitable for our links page. We’ll also let you know what we decide and why.
Any other questions about the information you find on websites that are linked on this page need to be directed to the administrator(s) of those websites.
- Discovery Channel School: Dedicated to making teaching and learning an exciting adventure for students, teachers, and parents. They provide innovative teaching materials for teachers, useful and enjoyable resources for students, and a store full of helpful learning products.
- Family Education Centre: Family Education Centre is non-profit, charitable organization striving to enrich the quality of life for families through community-based, parent to parent education, support and training.
- Kid Proof Canada: Safety courses for kids, babysitter training, home alone first aid, etc.
- Government of Ontario: Find out important information about child care.
- Ontario Children’s Aid Society: Information about different types of child abuse, responsibility to report and how to report suspected child abuse.
Infant and Toddler
- Babies and Sign Language: Provides photos illustrating a number of signs you can use right away for common every day needs. Also offers a free baby sign chart. A very useful site!
- Baby Signs: Offers sign language programs and resources to help you teach your baby or infant sign language.
- Born 2 Sign: This site has a sign language dictionary, including a search by category. The link takes you directly to a good article on how and why signing with your baby is helpful.
- Handspeak: Sign language for babies, infants and toddlers. Handspeak provides infomation and resources to help your baby communicate earlier than they can speak by voice.
- Sign 2 Me: More resources including a very good article on the reasons to use American Sign Language (ASL) signs with your baby instead of inventing your own…
- Your Baby Can Read: Some interesting tools to help your baby make connections between words, images, sounds and actions.
Just for Parents
- Canadian Parents Online: An online parenting community that provides parenting information for pregnant moms and parents of newborn babies, toddlers, preschoolers, schoolaged children and teenagers.
- EPA: A great article on how smoking effects the health of children and babies
- Hospital For Sick Children: The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids), affiliated with the University of Toronto, is Canada’s most research-intensive hospital and the largest centre dedicated to improving children’s health in the country.
- Quit Smoking Community: A useful site with great information on smoking and its effects.
- Scholar’s Choice: Scholar’s Choice has everything that a parent needs to enhance their child’s educational development (Toy Site).
- Today’s Parent: A popular magazine for parents, inc. 10 Little Things Good Parents Do article.
- Your Social Worker: Gary Direnfeld is a social worker with more than 20 years of experience working with parents, teens and young children. Ontario courts deem Gary an expert on child development, parent-child relations, and marital and family therapy.
- The Night School Program provides the opportunity to complete secondary school credits in a variety of subjects areas.
- The Centre for Skill Development & Training.